Sunday, September 11, 2011

Sep 11

The month of August flew by. I have been busy with work and other projects that have kept me from posting until now.

The garden has been very interesting this year. We harvested the last of the first planting of corn on Aug 29th. It did not ripen all at once and we had been picking corn to eat fresh for the two plus weeks prior the 29th. This is the best tasting corn I have ever eaten. It is Ambrosia. I hope the second planting is as good. It looks to be developing all at the same rate and is almost a foot taller than the first planting. I did not get a third planting in due to weather and a wet garden. I am not sure if it would have ripened in time before the frost this year.

The winter squash and pumpkins are doing great. I am only now seeing signs of vines starting to die off due to the squash bugs. Even the summer squash is doing well.

The tomatoes are a lost cause. Only three of them are still alive.

The beans are doing very well. I have been pulling the bush beans up to feed to the goats and the pole beans are just past their peak and still producing. I don't think that I will grow pole beans next year due to the labor involved. I find it easier to pick the bush beans.

The potatoes look terrible. The grasshoppers have striped the leaves off of the vines and I have not been able to keep up on the weeds. We have dug some nice potatoes so far and I am holding out hope for a modest harvest.


I have also found some time to work on the potato pit. I included a picture of its progress.