Sunday, July 31, 2011

July 31

The best two words to describe the garden this year are weeds and water. As you can see in the pictures I have both. It was raining when I took these pictures today, July 31st. We had a major rain storm on the 26th that left the lower end of the garden a small lake and knocked over the first planting of corn. The corn has mostly recovered.

All of the rain this year has given the weeds plenty of water and is defeating the drip system. It also seems to rain on the days that I am home and prevents me from keeping up on the weeds.

It looks as if everything is about 4 weeks behind even though we planted about the same time as last year give a day or two. I didn't plant the third planting of corn due to rain and probably will not plant any more this year. It is getting to late for it to mature.

The pumpkins are doing about as good as anything and do not seem to be effected by the cool spring and all of the rain. The watermelons on the other hand are not going to make it this year.

The tomatoes are dying off one by one due to wilt and the peppers don't seem to know what they are going to do. They are just sitting in a form of limbo and not growing any more.

We had new potatoes for diner today. I dug a few hills in the rain due to curiosity and I wanted some to eat. The last pictures show the Yukon Golds that I dug. These are about the size of the ones I dug last year on July 4th.